Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mid-Week Musings

First off, the cake is damn near gone. We've eaten just about all of it and I've enjoyed every bite. I am coming around on the icing actually. I think it just needed to be more evenly mixed. Maybe a tad less cheese and a bit more sugar too. I think the kicker was leaving it in the fridge for more than day. The second piece was much better than the first.

In other news, I ran my second track workout today. I prefer these track workouts to the hill repeats. I ran 400 meters at around 7:00/mi pace and did it six times. I think the last few were more like 6:45/mi, but I'm not keeping too specific a dataset of my times yet. I did time one of the 400s and came it at 1:36. So, if I extrapolate that out conservatively, I think it would mean about a 3:20-3:25 for an 800 meter run. If the logic behind Yasso 800s is true, then I should be in shape to do a marathon at that kind of a time by the end of the summer.

I'm feeling rather sore this week, but I'm still going to crank out 47 miles before I'm finished. Then, next week is the push for crossing the 5o mile mark. I'll be ahead of last year's schedule and I'm not likely going to bother with a marathon this year. I won't be in shape to qualify for Boston this year, so I don't see the point in doing a marathon. I think I'll be better off by doing speedwork and increasing my base by a fair amount and sprinkling in races of various distances. If I can spend a few weeks at 65mpw or more, I think that will put me in great shape for a BQ attempt. I have a feeling I'll actually go higher, 70-80mpw, at some point. Maybe ramp down a bit in the winter, around holiday season or so, and then run through a hardcore training program from Pfitzinger for a marathon in the early part of 2008. I could do the Wirefly National Marathon or maybe Frederick, but it is too early to make that decision.

No comments: